Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Eden Factor

You know I went to several book stands, and since I can't get the second issue yet I'll just go ahead with the first. This is another KLP comic book out there trying to blaze a trail for the modern Malaysian comic scene. I admit I bought this issue totally because I'm a fan of Kromosom, and just like back in the 90's when I was shallow enough to buy YoungBlood, I'm somewhat disappointed.

The plot involves a team of four, young cyborg women and their mannish makcik, known as The Pack. Together they're a part of the rebellion against the diabolical mechanations of the Megatech Corporation... IN THE FUTURE. We have all the standard superspy team components here:

Alya: Leader, gun expert with a tendency for self narration. Like Deadpool, only not funny.
Jade: Mostly silent, resident martial arts expert with a droll sense of humor.
Nell: Bossy explosives expert.
Alex: (not on the cover) Computer & communications wizard. Baby of the group. Cosplayer.

In this premier issue, the girls go on a vague mission. I don't know what exactly they're trying to do other than the bit where they're going to retrieve some information. The writer seems to care more about Alya's ramblings about her team mates than actually letting the art do that. Honestly, economy with your words is key in comics. Leave the self-insertion and huge text boxes to deviantart manga dweebs.

The art is uneven throughout, most of Kromosom's usual stunning polish is dimmed by bad inking. Lots of action and sniping guards. Other than that, Eden looks to serve you a standard action fare. Just like Fetus in Fetu, it has an overall promising story line (I simplified it in here for review purposes). Hopefully Lulu's writing improves along with the artwork next issue.

Good: Lots of action, snappy dialog. Nubile women in tight bodysuits.

Bad: Rushed intro and art. Huge narration boxes that don't actually help the plot.

Overall: Okay action title with a lukewarm start. I'll be watching.

1 comment:

Kalamtimur said...

I've had Eden Factor issue 2.

Fortunately, I had a light discussion with the colourist, who had done a vulnerable good job.
We had teh tarik at one of the stall in my hometown. We talked about comics...bla..bla.

I really appreciate the artists, colourists and the writers in the KLP. Their work are very stunning.